8 Comments

1. Kaela Gibbons
    April 28, 2016 @ 3:22 pm

1. Don’t be afraid to ask.

Jory once told me a story of how he was on a day tour of one of the big recording studios where they were in the process of working on the score for Shawshank Redemption. Newman was there working on some of the piano tracks.

He was just a student and had no particular clout with anyone there but he had the courage to ask “would it be okay if I sat in on the session in the control room?”

Because he had the gumption to ask, he was allowed an inside view of the making of one of his favorite scores.

The worst that can happen when you ask is that someone can tell you “no” but you just might get what you asked for. In fact, people tend to want to say “yes” if you give them a chance.

So don’t be afraid to come right out and ask for what you want in life no matter how far-fetched it may seem at the time. That’s how you turn dreams into reality.

• John Byrd
      April 29, 2016 @ 1:25 am

Kaela, that’s a really great story. I think I will actually copy that one myself! Thank you for sharing.

2. Stephanie Krutsick
    April 28, 2016 @ 11:13 pm

I didn’t know Jory, but I know his brother, and helped with contacting some people shortly after…

I have lost a brother. My heart is with S. and the Prum family. Entirely.

• John Byrd
      April 29, 2016 @ 1:27 am

Thank you very much for contacting me. Also, thank you very much for helping contact people immediately after. I wish you peace.

3. Shan
    July 12, 2016 @ 12:35 am

Hello, I am said brother referenced above. (Thank you, Stephanie). John, thank you for the tribute. These are very true lessons from Jory. I’m 5 years younger and Jory was an extremely important role model in my life.

The philosophy of Jory was “have fun!” He ended every phone call, every skype, every conversation with “have fun!” If you’re having fun, then criticism is an opportunity to have better fun, sharing makes fun infectious, and helping others creates new avenues for fun.

Kaela, as for the policy of always asking, we learned that from our mother and Walt Disney. Our mother will order off the menu or walk up to anyone and ask them a question. It’s true, we’ll never know what’s possible if we don’t ask. As for Walt, Jory and I grew up near Disneyland and one secret of Disneyland is that you can ride in the front of the monorail – but you have to ask the conductor very politely. (It’s probably not widely known that Jory was obsessed with trains.)

What amazes me about Jory was his ability to accept others. Acceptance is a struggle for human beings, including myself. We have religions and political parties built on the premise that we should not accept each other. One of our teenage comedy idols, Tom Lehrer, has a joke, “I know there are people in the world that do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that.” That was pretty much Jory. He spent much of high school angering my parents and his teachers by asking them to “define normal” when he wasn’t meeting their expectations. He rallied against censorship. Jory accepted us, had his heart broken many times, and yet he continued to accept us.

One final anecdote on criticism… In 2000 (I think), Jory and I attended the MacWorld convention in San Francisco. We attended several of them, so I’m not sure of the year. While Jory was walking around the meeting room areas, he ran into Steve Jobs. Of course, Jory walked right up to him and introduced himself. As Jory told it, Steve was cordial, but annoyed. Jory told Steve that he was a sound designer and that the Mac was his tool of choice. Then, Jory listed every bug and complaint he could fit into the remaining time he keep Steve’s attention. According to Jory, Steve thanked him for his passion to make Apple even better. Beyond the comedy of Steve Jobs being confronted by Jory, there’s an important lesson here: authority is a construct. Steve lived and died; he was human. We are all just animals, trying to do well, trying to share our knowledge, trying to ask for help, trying to have fun, and trying to be accepted.

• John Byrd
      July 13, 2016 @ 3:52 pm

Thank you so much for posting these stories about Jory. I am so pleased that you have taken the time to share your memories here.

Now that I know that Steve Jobs received exactly the same treatment from Jory that I got, I realize now what a privilege it was to get his constructive criticism. Jory is very missed. Thank you again for sharing.

4. Adam Harrington
    July 13, 2016 @ 12:52 am

Thanks for sharing John. I miss my old pal terribly, but this just reminded me that he’ll always be with me. I’ve learned so much from Jor over the years, much of it having more to do with life in general than matters concerning our professional relationship (Jory’s studio was a 2nd home to me and many of my voice actor friends (director/producer/etc friends as well). He engineered much of the work I’m most proud of. An actors sound-man if there ever was one) Much more so than any other frequently booked joints. He became a brother over those years. Just a top shelf human being. Once again thanks for posting this 😉

• John Byrd
      July 13, 2016 @ 3:53 pm

Likewise, thank you so much for coming in and sharing your thoughts and remembrances on Jory.